Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Buffet the Body

Buffet defined:
1.) To hit or beat; especially repeatedly
2.) To strike against forcefully; batter
3.) To drive or force with or as if repeated blows
4.) To force (one's way) with difficulty - To buffet one's way.

Our biblical foundation is coming from I Corinthians 9:24-27 (NKJV):
"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified."

I buffet my body, and bring it into bondage... - American Std.
I beat my body and make it my slave... - NIV
I discipline my body and keep it under control. - English Std.
I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. - NLT
I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection... -KJV

Get the picture? We are to be in control of our body.

Paul is talking about not being disqualified in a race he is running for life. Reading in verses 24 and 25 of I Corinthians 9 you see he mentions this and that those who compete are "temperate in all things." Temperate - in control, patient, longsuffering, balanced. That's when he mentions again the race and our fight, "not with uncertainty," "not as one who beats the air" ... but as one who disciplines or buffets the body (vs. 26 and 27).

Forget the buffet line... or next time you are one - go for the raw fruits and vegetables and eat to live and have good health!

Here's to yours... good health!

No comments:

Post a Comment